Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Penn State Science
You are here: Home Resources New Personnel

Before You Arrive

Main Content

New Hire Information,
PSU Science Human Resources


Initiating Your Faculty Appointment

At the time you receive the offer of an appointment (or shortly after), you will be sent a package of information with a variety of forms to complete and informational materials.

Human Resources Information


Maternity Guidelines

Dual Career Services

Penn State offers the services of a Dual Career Coordinator through the Office of Human Resources to assist the partners of new or recently-hired faculty and staff in locating a job locally. Information about the program can be found at the link above. If your spouse or partner might benefit from this assistance, please do not hesitate to ask. It would be helpful if you inform your department head about it and provide him/her with a copy of your partner's resume or c.v. -often the department head can play a role in facilitating referrals, or may have some ideas about opportunities. Our Human Resources Representative may also be able to help (Amanda Jones, 814-863-0212).

Information For Non-US Residents

Here you will find a range of information for non-US residents from obtaining a Pennsylvania Driver's License, to Visa information, to tax laws.
Information About State College.  Here you will find information about Central Pennsylvania including downtown State College, Centre county, and PSU. So check out the real estate guide, current movie listings, sports, the take out and delivery guide , and business directory.

General Information for Post Doctoral Scholars / Fellows
(Opens a new window)


Find A Place To Live 
Check the local newspaper ( Centre Daily Times - "CDT" ), the University newspaper ( The Collegian ), and the Centre County Association of Realtors for housing.

New incoming faculty can subscribe to the L-New Faculty Net List to get information regarding available housing, etc. Click on "Join or Leave L-NEW-FACULTY-NET ."

Collect all the information that you can before you make a choice regarding housing.
Make sure that you make the necessary arrangements to have your utilities connected.  Also remember that you may need to make arrangements to have the utilities disconnected when you move out.  Please check the guidelines stipulated on the lease and with the property manager in this regard.

Banking Information

If you are paid through a University funding source, you will need a US checking or savings account so that your paycheck can be direct-deposited into that account each month (deposits are made on the last working day of the month). You will need to complete a salary deposit form (see your departmental contact person) and attach either a voided check (a blank, unsigned check bearing your checking account number, on which you've written "VOID") or a savings deposit slip.

You may open a checking and/or savings account at the Penn State Federal Credit Union, located in suite 102 of the HUB-Robeson Center. For other banks in State College, see the listings in the Yellow Pages of the State College phone directory.

You must have a social security number to open an account. Apply at the Social Security Office, 901 University Drive, Suite 2; phone 238-5035.

When you open a checking or savings account at any of these banks, you may choose to have an ATM (Automatic Teller Machine) or debit card. There are several ATMs on campus representing different banks; locations include the Kern Building Lobby and the lower level of the HUB-Robeson Center.

Local Schools

* Public Schools 
* Private Schools  

Child Day Care

The State College area provides several options for child day care including 3 Penn State University on-campus daycare facilities. Day Care Centers in State College (including on campus)

For the most up-to-date list and complete listing of child care providers in the State College area, call 814-865-9346.

PSU Employee Benefits 
With this link you can access a summary of health care benefits for regular full-time faculty and staff members of Penn State University.

Driver's License/Car Registration 
With this link you can access contact information for obtaining a driver's license, and getting your car registered. You can also register to vote at the driver's license center.

Medical Evacuation & Repatriation Insurance

For those on J-1 visas (and their dependents), this insurance coverage must be purchased and renewed each year.

This insurance is now purchased exclusively on-line through Aetna. To purchase this insurance, visit the Penn State Aetna Student Health Care web page (opens in a new window). On the right side of this page, under Enroll, Click on "Enroll: Students and Dependents." Follow the steps to purchase the insurance and print out the receipt and proof of enrollment. This must be presented for new and renewed visas. If you have any questions about this, please call or visit the Student Insurance Office at (814) 865-7467. The Office is located in the University Student Health Center Building.